Mark Coker, Founder of Smashwords, the world’s largest indie book distributor, gave a great talk at the excellent Edinburgh Publishing Conference on the key trends driving the future of the book publishing industry.
1. The rise of ebooks.
2. Book selling (print and ebooks) is moving to the web
3. Democratisation of Publishing
4. The self-published are gaining a competitive advantage
5. Book buyers are price sensitive
6. Print is dead for most self-published authors
7. Ebooks are going global
8. Big publishers are getting into self-publishing
9. Previous stigma of self-publishing is disappearing
Mark believes that there has never been a better time to be in publishing. The world needs more smart people in publishing adding value to books. The question of indie/traditional publishing tends to be framed as an either/or battle but it doesn’t need to be.
Above all, ensure that, whatever you do, you add value to books.